Monday, May 17, 2010

The Lineup Game

I don't usually play around with lineup construction (because it matters so little) but I heard one suggested on WFAN last night that I really liked. The show's host, who was a woman I had never heard before (usually listen during the day) had some really smart suggestions and had strong rationale for all of it. Here's how the order went.

1. Reyes
2. Pagan
3. Bay
4. Davis
5. Wright
6. Barajas
7. Francoeur/Carter
8. Pitcher
9. Castillo

She didn't seem to care whether Castillo was 8 or 9. In general, I like this idea. The question the Mets face now really seems to be what to do with Anegl Pagan if Reyes is back to leading off. Last night he batted seventh, which is a waste. He's been playing too well recently to bury down there.

I like the idea of leading off with Reyes AND Pagan, who are both dynamic speedsters with some pop, before getting to the heart of the order. I'd also bat Davis between Bay and Wright because of handedness. Barajas 6th is interesting but not crazy, not while he's hot. And then Castillo at the end of the lineup turns the lineup over -- he can bunt, he get get on base, and he can take pitches. As she mentioned, facing the Mets 7-8-9 when it was Barajas-Francoeur-Pitcher could end up in a lot of 5 or 6 pitch innings for the opposing team.

Anyway, that was her idea and I liked it. Not that it makes a huge difference.

1 comment:

Dan said...

Here's the one I'd like to see, to get the best players near the top for more ABs:

1. Reyes
2. Wright
3. Davis
4. Bay
5. Pagan
6. Francoeur/Carter
7. Barajas
8. Pitcher
9. Castillo

And then, when Beltran's back:

1. Reyes
2. Wright/Beltran
3. Beltran/Wright
4. Davis
5. Bay
6. Francoeur/Carter/Pagan
7. Barajas
8. Pitcher
9. Castillo