Monday, April 19, 2010

The Most Important Thing From... Game 12, Mets v. Cardinals, April 18th

Sometimes the Most Important Thing (MIT) is a good thing. Sometimes it is not. Tonight, it is not.

Over their last 29 innings of baseball, the Mets have managed only 13 hits. If you take away the hits collected against position players, they have only 10 hits in their last 27 innings. Truly awful.

For the season, the Mets have only one regular position player hitting better than .270 (Jeff Francoeur). As a team they are hitting .231, which I am told by Yahoo! is 24th in baseball. Their OPS as a team is 673, a number which would be funny if it weren't so sad, and also is good for 27th in baseball.

On a side note, is it true that David Wright has 17 walks? I mean, I knew he had plenty but... my goodness. He could walk 150 times this year.

The Mets need to start hitting. I could get on them here for stupidly signing Jason Bay and for wasting at bats on suck like Mike Jacobs and Gary Matthews Jr., but I won't. Instead, I'll give us something to look forward to.

Although things seem bleak at the moment, and the Mets as currently constituted might have a hard time hitting against a good New York high school team, we may be looking at this lineup in a few months:

SS Reyes
2B Castillo
3B Wright
CF Beltran
LF Bay
1B Davis
RF Francoeur
C Barajas

... and that's a team that will score some runs. But for now? Back to my windmill idea.

No comments: