Saturday, March 06, 2010
Who Is This Guy?: Jenrry Mejia
Who IS Jenrry Mejia, exactly?
- Mejia was born on October 11, 1989. Yes, 1989. He was born on the same day as Michelle Wie. Unlike Michelle, Jenrry was born in Santo Domingo.
- Baseballprospectus lists Mejia at 6'0" and 162 pounds. He bats and throws right-handed. Mariano Rivera is 6'2", 185, in case you were wondering.
- Jenrry has always been Mets property: He signed with the team as an international free agent on April 4, 2007. He went 2-3 with a 2.47 ERA that year in the Dominican Summer League.
- In 2008 he played for both the Gulf Coast Mets and the Brooklyn Cyclones, obtaining a 5-2 record with a 2.89 ERA over 14 starts.
- In 2009 he was promoted to A-ball, going 4-1 with a 1.97 ERA before being called up to AA Binghamton where he regressed a bit, going 0-5 with an ERA of 4.47 in 10 starts. However, he struck out 47 batters in 44.1 innings.
- After starting in 40 of his 47 minor league appearances, Jerry Manuel is looking at Mejia as a possible 8th inning reliever.
- But definitely not as a bat off the bench: Mejia has a lifetime batting average of .000 in 10 plate appearances. He struck out five times but totally walked once. Fist poundage!
- He wore Pedro Martinez's number (45) in Pt. St. Lucie.
- Baseball America thinks he's the 56th best prospect in all of baseball.
- Save us Jenrry. Save us.